Tuesday, November 14, 2006

"Life itself is the proper binge"--Julia Child

I just spent a few days in New York eating and drinking well beyond the suggested parameters for this model. The experience was amazing--I had not been to New York since I was a kid, with my parents. Not only has the city itself changed dramatically, but so obviously has my point of view. Eleven gluttonous meals in three days, including about two cases of wine. I made my first restaurant selections using the list of Manhattan Grand Award winners, and then filled in with the generally famous and topped everything off with the most unbelievably over-the-top wine dinner at one of America's handful of Michelen 3-Star restaurants.

Holy shit, I got back a week ago and am still hung over, and am just now getting hungry again. On the rare occassion that I travel, I recognize no restrictions. I usually can't take much more time than three or four days, and always endeavor to pack as much luxury and consumption as possible into that short breadth of time. Being in the restaurant industry, I usually rationalize this ridiculous extravagence by calling it research. Where better to steal tidbits of service, successful programs, and the next best trends than at Per Se..or The French Laundry, Restaurant Michael Mina, Craftsteak [home of the 6oz $180.00 REAL Japanese Kobe Ribeye], Veritas, Asiate, Le Cirque, Brix, The Tribeca Grill, and several others upon which my memory is too blurry to comment.

My only regret is that I didn't make it to Masa--nor because I am a huge afficianado of crazy Anthony Bourdain-style dare-you-to-eat-it sushi [my taste in raw fish is actually very basic], but because the only thing missing from my trophy case from this trip was the $850.00, three-hour-long sushi dinner for two.

Not "rest" in the proper sense, but well worth it.

I get down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home